Monday, December 28, 2009

Bernie's BBQ "cheat" sauce

I am going to write more about Jamie's book, but I was searching for something else and came across this recipe that I use often and refer to as my BBQ "cheat" sauce. It's actually a Chatelaine Recipe for Chili-molasses-rubbed ribs. I love this sauce, and it is easy to make. I call it a cheat sauce because you start off with a store BBQ sauce and then spice it up with theme and chili powder and salt and make it sticky and sweet with molasses (I get the fancy and not the cooking molasses...the former is much nicer in taste, I find.)

Sometimes I will make a big batch and use it for all my BBQ needs, be they pork, beef or even chicken. (I don't think it would go with fish or lamb, but it would go well with hardier vegetables).

The BBQ sauce I start with is usually a chipotle variety. But if you prefer plain, hickory, jalepeno...well, pick whatever you like. While I wouldn't recommend a really expensive BBQ sauce for the base, don't get a really cheap one either.

No comments:

Post a Comment