Tuesday, October 13, 2009

About this blog

I started this blog for three reasons.




The first reason is this book: Jamie's Food Revolution. I love to cook and I love cookbooks. But I had stopped buying cookbooks for sometime because I found that after awhile, I bought them excitedly, only to cook little if anything from them once I got them home. However this one, with the subtitle: Rediscover How to Cook Simple, Delicious, Affordable Meals, strongly appealed to me since the food I like to make is simple, affordable and delicious. (At least I like to think is all three of those.) Once I browsed through it, and learned more about Jamie's mission to essentially get people to cook better so that they can live better, I was really interested. I think that is a great mission, and I would like to support that. Finally, as I examined the recipes, I thought: I am going to get this book.

Since then, I have been making quite a number of these recipes, despite the book being aimed at a UK audience. Since he wants us to Pass It On, I thought the best way I could do that is with a blog. Plus, I wanted to Canadian-ize things a bit, so I am going to write about the recipes from a Canadian perspective. I hope by doing this, I can provide some value to Canadians interested in taking up the book.



The second reason has to do with politics. While this is chiefly a cookbook, it is also a bit of a political book (in a small 'p' sense of the word). After all, the original UK title is Jamie's Ministry of Food, a title that combines politics and food in one. I thought of the second reason and the need to address the politics of food somewhat because on some of the political blogs that I read, there is opposition to what this book is trying to do. I'd like to try to address that in this blog (though it will be mostly about the food).

Finally, the third reason is that I like to blog and I like to cook and I like to eat! This is a great way to enjoy doing all three.

P.S. Whenever I refer to a recipe being Jamie's, unless otherwise noted, it will be a recipe from this book.

Thanks for reading this.

No comments:

Post a Comment